One of the core skills for any independent trainer is course design. That’s why one of the first resources I’m publishing as part of my giveaway is this little series.
In fairness this was always available for free on www.TheCareGuy.com so it’s not really part of the ‘Giveaway’ as such. But I think it’s so important for any would be trainers to know this stuff that it just had to be included here. I’ve scheduled it as a series of posts on consecutive Monday mornings. We will cover…
- The 6P rule
- Know your client
- Know your audience
- Tell ‘em what they need to know – not what you know
- Do you want to inform, discuss, develop or what?
- A few major points and supporting info/exercises
- A theme runs through it
- Schema (build on what they know)
- Learning styles
- Write handout titles and trainers notes first
- Take the time to tell the tale
- Power point – the kiss of death
- Don’t milk it